Skip to content Skip to footer

Urquhart Churches

First reference to a church in Urquhart, it was dedicated to Saint Margaret, in a deed of 1237. This church fell into disrepair early in 19th century and in 1843 it was replaced with new Parish Church on G(ashill)?

At around the same time the remnants of the original church were used to build a new Free Church of Scotland at east end of village.

In 1938 the two churches were united and in mid 1940s the St Margaret’s Free Church and Manse were sold – proceeds were used to refurbish St Margaret’s Hall.
Greenhouse out the back in what is (now)? the hall car park, sheds where Uncle B? kept white fantail doves. Milkhouse next to hall, a chicken run.

Parentheses indicate missing words or letters in original.